Friday, March 19, 2010

March 19, 2010 - The King of Wands

The day already has an edgy feel, as if it's trying to pick a fight. Maybe it's the wind, lack of sleep, a life that's not quite what and where I want it to be and me knowing it's up to me to get it there. One of the things we forget about when we read fairy tales is that happily ever after don't just come. There's always a journey to get there. And even if you don't believe that happily ever after is a constant state, perhaps more of an oceanic ebb and flow, still there's a journey, there are trials, there are adventures and actions that lead the fairy tale hero, male or female, to his or her destiny. Which means that as much as I would like life to drop blessings into my lap, show me just what to do next, where to go, life and I are collaborating on this work of art called Sue's Journey, and that means I've got to do my part. I'm going to have act, to reach, to try, to fail, and try again.

It was hard this morning to even hold a question in my mind. Agitated I shuffled the cards. Agitated, I picked. The question I suspect is the same one I always seem to fall back on but maybe not. Between yesterday and today I got my destination and the faintest outline of my next journey, but no exact instructions. And I'm ready to get on with things. The bypass has taught me to get on with things, to detour around blockages if they can't be moved or managed. It doesn't serve anyone to keep bashing my head against road blocks, even if I have Aries rising and this is my default. Sometimes an irresistible force meets an immovable object and loses the fight. It doesn't happen often but it does happen and we irresistible forces need to adapt.

In tarot, the Kings of each suit carry the positive energy of the suit and the ability to actively express it in the world. The Queens embody the energy, live it, the Kings act. Sexist? Sure if you take Kings and Queens to be separate but equal and not parts of ourselves. I come from the parts of us camp. I believe if we are unable to own these characteristics we project them on to others. Past fifty and with a life threatening experience under my belt, I'm ready, willing, and able to own the energy and action of the King.

The King of Wands is a charismatic guy. He's creative, inspiring, forceful, bold. He doesn't sit around and wait for the right time. He is willing to take chances buoyed by the courage of his convictions. He possesses a commanding presence (not an easy fit for this introverted wall flower but okay, I'll give it a try) and naturally becomes the focus of attention. He communicates enthusiastically, instills confidence, is a natural and powerful leader. And the King of Wands is creative. He possess natural artistic abilities and is not afraid to use them in original and inventive ways. The King of Wands asks you to do the same - to be daring, to take risks knowing you will succeed, knowing you have the tools and the talents. And I'm not even sure he cares much about success measured by the outside world. Success for the King of Wands is doing, creating, being your authentic self, making a difference.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Lord of Candlesticks (Wands) is Captain Wentworth of Persuasion. By now most of you know I love the novel Persuasion and feel not just a little connection with its heroine, Anne Elliot, although I'm much older than Anne who was a spinster and essentially put out to pasture at the extreme age of 26. Frederick Wentworth starts out as the knight, brash, daring, sure of himself, maybe overly sure but if you know a Knight of Wands, it's hard not to see him become a King. The King of Wands is one whose impulsiveness has been tempered by time, but he or she still burns brightly and passionately.

What Would Jane Do?
"Carpe Diem! Boldness and ebullience serve you well, as long as honesty underpins your great enthusiasms, and experience guides your actions. Others might find you overly blunt, but only if they fear truth and hide their own intentions from others or themselves. This is not something you can understand, because guile and chicanery are foreign to you. May they always be so." p. 78

Food for thought as I start my day. As for how it plays out, being King, I'll keep you posted.


What

No comments:

Post a Comment