Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18, 2010 - Four of Pentacles

Mine! Mine! Mine!

The Four of Pentacles is a card about control -- owning, possessing, and maintaining the status quo. You don't want things to change, in fact you resist change, because the bird in the hand is all you care about, having and holding and keeping it forever. I get this card. I understand it. I used to handle change better. At least I think I did. I found out though, a few years ago, that when change came, big change, I cracked and crumbled. I was the Tower and change shattered me.

When the Four of Pentacles comes up you want to have and hold. You definitely want to maintain control. In fact, you demand it. It's a card of blocked change, resisting the flow, wanting everything to stay the same, even when it can't stay the same. I will admit this is me, or has been. And so life had to break me down, hip and heart, in order to make me pliable again. The lesson of the Four of Pentacles is that control is impossible. Perhaps this is why the ocean calls me so strongly, this reminder that life is a mighty ocean, power we cannot possess but merely go with the flow.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Four of Coins (Pentacles) depicts Fanny and John Dashwood, the heirs to Henry Dashwood's fortune. John has promised to take care of his two half sisters but at the urging of his wife he breaks this promise. This ends up being the best thing in the world for Elinor and Marinne, his two half-sisters. It allows them to find their own way, find people who cherish them for who they are. As hard as it is in the beginning, it brings them the love they need and deserve.

Change isn't bad although it so often feels that way. Endings can be hard and yet they open the way for new beginnings. They're going to come anyway so it's best to be the flexible willow as opposed to the rigid oak. I think the next time around I'd rather bend then break. Food for thought. As for how it turns out, I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment