Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16, 2010 - Five of Cups

A unexpected dip in finances has me a bit shaken. So I ask the cards and this is what came up. Not too promising, but nothing I didn't know. The five of cups is about loss, grief, and regret. This has been my card off and on for the last few years. I've been this man in black, whether it's warranted or not. The bottom line is what's gone is gone and I can keep grieving it and standing still, or move on and see what opportunities come. I think I'm tired of grief; of giving and given up, of why bother. Maybe at last I'm ready to move on.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Five of Teacups depicts George Wickham and Elizabeth Bennett talking. He is telling her his tale of woe and she is listening sympathetically. Of course, it won't be long before circumstances will reveal Wickham's true character and his tale of woe merely that, a tale he may believe but with little grounding in fact. Lizzie learns the truth about Wickham, as does her family, the hard way, the way we often learn the truth, with sometimes dire consequences.

In this tarot deck there's a bit of the "woe is me" feeling. Everyone faces hard times, and while our trials may seem overwhelming, there are others who experience worse without the kind of fuss. I think maybe I've grieved enough, not just because it's time to move on, not just because such excessive grief is unattractive, but because it hurts me and those I love. I don't live my life, but spend my energy wishing for another, what might have been, which is long, long gone. Not being fully present has gotten me in the predicament. Think it might be time to face where I am and get on with things.

Not sure where all this will lead, but I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment