Sunday, February 28, 2010

February 28, 2010 - The King of Swords

I have a friend from my time at Pacifica who has a dream of living in Colorado again. I know there's more to the dream, and although I don't know the specifics of that more, I wish I did. Alaska taught me that I too have a dream, even if I'm not at all sure what it is and what seems important in the next years of my life is turning that dream into reality. so my question today was: "What do I need to know today to learn my dream and achieve it?"

I guess it makes sense that the Tarot might advise me to embody certain characteristics to figure things out and once, figured, go for it. The King of Swords is intellectual, analytical, articulate, just and ethical. Here's what Joan Bunning writes about the King of Swords: "He is a man of intellect who can absorb and work with information of all kinds. As a master of reason and logic, he analyzes any problem with ease. He can work out solutions quickly and explain them lucidly to others. In a chaotic situation, he cuts through the confusion and provides the clarity needed to move forward. Others seek him out to present their case as he speaks with eloquence and insight. He is always truthful and can be relied on to handle any situation fairly and honorably. When a judgment is called for, he can render an impartial but just decision. He is incorruptible and lives by the highest ethical standards. He encourages those around him to do the same, and they often live up to his expectations."
For me then, the question becomes how can I embody this energy and use it for my purposes.
In the Jane Austen Tarot, the King of Swords (Lord of Quills) is depicted by Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pride and Prejudice. Darcy is an intelligent man who possesses high regard for his skills and attributes. And while he may have every right and reason to be sure of skills, proud, it doesn't mean he's right all of the time. He would benefit from listening to his "gut." The one thing these last hard years have taught me is there's much I don't know; that knowing isn't Knowing; that I can be so gloriously and glaringly wrong about things. Like Socrates, I suppose, wisdom has come in knowing just how little I know. I can and should muster all my gifts to find my way but I need to do so in a way that integrates heart and soul into all that beautiful mind.

What Would Jane Do?
"The gift of intellect is a blessing, indeed; however, it can become a curse if used as a weapon instead of a device for superior communication. While the public square is filled with fools and simpletons, why grow querulous on the subject? One can derive amusement from them, and even, occasionally, learn from them." p. 124

No comments:

Post a Comment