Saturday, February 20, 2010

February 20, 2010 - The Hierophant

After a brief hiatus in the wilds of Alaska, I'm back. I did pick cards there but won't blog them. Mostly they offered encouragement, reminders, and hope. It will be a long haul to get where I need to go, this said after the long haul of getting to this point. Still, there is the hope of it, however, slight, and small, a spring kind of hope, tender green, slight, maybe-maybe not.

Today I asked what I needed to know to get where I need to be by the end of this year, whether it means change or status quo. It wasn't a very direct question, hardly well thought out, which may explain the response.

The Hierophant is a card about the status quo, following rules, groups and group dynamics, oughts and shoulds. The thing of oughts and shoulds, with rules, with mores, is that they can be enriching or stifling, depending. And some times we need to follow and embrace traditions, and sometimes we need to trust ourselves. The key is knowing when to do which.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, The Hierophant is depicted by Mr. Collins, the officious cleric of Pride and Prejudice, not my favorite character and certainly someone I don't want to be. Of course it makes sense, since I teeter between following the rules and living life my way, my rules, straining against shoulds and oughts but afraid to let go of security completely. I guess I'm afraid to sail unfettered, sticking to the bay, longing for the ocean.

What Would Jane Do?
"The question you must ask yourself is 'What or whom do you serve?'. What are your core values? Are your beliefs based on familial values, your religious upbringing, society's mores, or do they derive from your own carefully considered personal truths? While we are all influenced to a greater or lesser extent by our cultural experiences and what we have been taught, deep within us exists an unique compass, a compass of the soul."

My true north. I have to find mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment