Saturday, February 27, 2010

February 27, 2010 - The Six of Cups

Last night was a hard one and my sleep the kind you wake up from with tears in your eyes. Yesterday was restless, discontented, the world full of what I didn't have as opposed to what I did. So this morning, I decided to ask this question:
"What is the most important thing I need to know today to bring happiness to my life sooner, this year, and to stay happy?"

The Six of Cups is a sweet card, full of nostalgia. It reminds me of all the good in the world and the power of simple acts of kindness. There is an innocence to it that is the children depicted, but not just. Virtue but also free of ulterior motive. These days I say what I say not because I expect anything from it, but because I don't. It's true and so the good I say and the angry and hurtful? Well, for the most part I keep that to myself. I think my mother was right with her admonishment, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I'm a fan of truth and fair but tempered. Some things just don't need to be said. There's just no point. The Six of Cups is a card of simple pleasures and it reminds us, encourages us, to be kind and generous and forgiving.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Six of Teacups is depicted by a young Edmund Bertram consoling a young Fanny Price. Now ultimately, the deep and reciprocal friendship between these two blossoms into love. To be honest, Fanny has always loved Edmund. He, however, takes quite some time to realize how deeply he feels for her. This is a card then of friendship reciprocated and possibly, maybe, a friendship that blossoms into love.

What Would Jane Do?
"Words of kindness can provide balm in the worst times, deed of kindness stir the soul, but a combination of the two are an ideal foundation for any relationship. Emotional support without the practical resources to relish them can be but empty comfort. On the other hand, practical assistance without kindness tastes as bitter as bread without jam. Even if your tea is truly sparse, however, it is better to share it with an amiable companion." p. 87

No comments:

Post a Comment