Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6, 2010 - The Six of Wands

I'm always surprised when cards come up again, especially so soon.    The Six of Wands visited me not so long ago, so imagine my surprise when it showed up again.  Especially since I'm not feeling particularly triumphant, although maybe, given this card, I should.  In fact, I'm not one much for basking in my glory and good fortune.  There's too much of my grandmother in me, of keeping a low profile so jealous gods won't grow more jealous.

When the Six of Wands shows up in a reading, it speaks of having your day in the sun, achieving success, coming out on top.  You receive acclaim, are acknowledged, achieve recognition.  And you can feel pride, a healthy self-esteem.  Pride is a dangerous sentiment.  Self-esteem can slip easily from healthy self-esteem to arrogance and self-importance.  When the Six of Wands shows up, the recognition you have sought is yours and you can receive the acclaim, honor and reward that you deserve.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Six of Candlesticks is depicted by Charles Bingley and Fitzwilliam Darcy racing off from a small country manor where both have found love.  What is depicted is the triumph of accepted marriage proposals after great misunderstanding and tremendous personal growth.  Darcy was quite proud and has come to learn his pride must be tempered with compassion and understanding.  Elizabeth Bennett, the object of his affections, learns her own prejudices and finds compassion and humility too.  This is that moment of joy after long struggle, when what you hope for most is nearly achieved and all seems right with the world.

Since balance is the key word for me as a Libra, this card seems to be reminding me of the fine line between humility and self-denigration, healthy self-esteem and excessive pride.  We need to value ourselves or others never will.  Conversely, if we think too highly of ourselves, even our best characteristics, we risk growing inflated.  Pride or Prejudice, one is no worse than the other as we find out in Jane Austen's novel .  A healthy dose of humor and compassion seem the best approach, even with ourselves, maybe especially with ourselves.

What does the Six of Wands mean for me?  Not really sure.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment