Thursday, January 7, 2010

January 7, 2010 - The Lady of Coins (Queen of Pentacles)

What do I need to know today about love for my happiness?

I love this card and always have. For an autumn baby with a passion for the twilight pleasures of the fall, what could be better than to be this queen, seated amid harvest glory? She possesses the qualities I wish I did, maybe I do -- nurturing, big-hearted, down-to-earth, resourceful, and trustworthy. She possesses a green thumb, has a way with children, and invites people into her happy home, offering food of course, or tea, anything needed for comfort. Why you could open your heart to her, probably will.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Queen of Pentacles (Lady of Coins) is represented by Elinor Dashwood, the oldest and sensible oldest daughter of the novel, Sense and Sensibility. I've been getting a lot of cards lately that deal with this novel. Might be time to re-read it again since this dichotomy, sense versus sensibility, has played a huge part in my life these last few years. I thought I was Elinor, found out I was Marianne, and perhaps now, I need to find my true inner Elinor if I don't want to lose by heart, my trust, my hope, my love.

The Lady of Coins can seem unfeeling. Certainly Elinor is judged so by her younger sister, Marianne. The Lady of Coins though possesses deep emotions, strong love, but is in control of them as opposed to allowing them to control her. She would never die of broken heart; she'd never make herself sick with grief. She may ache with her hurts but she lives her days and finds much to love about them. She cares for those around her and finds happiness in being of service to them. She's no milquetoast. She's no pushover. She possesses the great blessing of equanimity and perspective, of gratitude and finding and celebrating the good as opposed to the worst, the wrong, the hurt, the pain.

I have been struggling with how to keep my heart open without ripping it from my chest and handing to people, trusting they will honor and care for it. Why should they if I am so reckless with it? I can be big-hearted, even open-hearted, without giving myself away. I can be generous without being spendthrift with myself, as if I'm an unending well that can never be drained dry. All of us have limits. Many people drink from my well. A measured flow may be wise if I wish to be present for al of them.

"You too, as the Lady of coins, are likely an astute judge of character, because you observe an individual's actions, and are not misled or seduced by false words. Denial and delusion hold no appeal for you." Actions as the true measure of a heart. Of the all the lessons this last year, this is indeed the one I need to etch upon my very soul. Words are lovely, and when they're pretty I so want to believe them. Actions, however, are all we can measure ourselves and others against.

What Would Jane Do?
"Prudence and patience, combined with practicality, are not merely their own reward, but help one attain one's just desserts. The sound of a rattle signifies nothing, but the dulcet tones of measured harmony fall gently on every ear." p. 145

No comments:

Post a Comment