Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 23, 2010 - The Five of Swords

This card was a bit of a surprise. It reflects the themes of dis-honor, discord, and self interest. So when it comes up after a question about promoting happy friendships, it gets you to thinking. Is this me? The people around me? It definitely reflects the attitude at work, at least among the administrators. Less money and more budget cuts means every man for himself. They're scrambling and we'll be left to pick up the pieces. Nothing new there but every time the scarce times come around you hope this time will be different. So far, it hasn't been.

This isn't helping. So I go back to Bunning's description of the card. Self-Interest. The questions I have been asking have centered around what I need to know for the health and happiness of my heart. I've focused on myself but maybe that isn't what I need to be doing. Maybe there's another question I should be asking. Maybe my concerns should reach out to family and friends and past them to the world.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Five of Swords depicts a scene from the novel Emma. A party has gathered to pick wild strawberries and after, as they talk, Frank Churchill spurs Emma to make a cutting remark -- clever, true, and hurtful to someone who didn't deserve such hurtfulness. The remark earns Emma Mr. Knightley's censure. Emma regrets her remarks and makes amends.

I'm still not sure what the card means. Am I in danger of saying something I shouldn't? Am I so self-absorbed I am focusing on my narrow happiness at the expense of others? Am I acting dishonorably or is someone acting that way toward me?

I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment