Friday, January 22, 2010

January 22, 2010 - The King of Cups

Court cards are always tough for me to interpret. I'm certainly getting a lot of practice for they come up a lot in my readings. Each suit represents a particular realm - thoughts, creative energies, emotions, the material world - and each court card represents some aspects of this energy, either new and hopeful, like the Page, balancing the edges, like the Knight, deeply integrating the best of the suit, like the Queen, and expressing those traits in the world, like the King.

The suit of Cups involves the emotional realm. The King of this suit is wise, calm, diplomatic, caring and tolerant. When he comes up in a reading you can rest assured that you will be called on to demonstrate these traits by people and circumstances you encounter. That you possess the abilities to do this is not in question. What is in question is if you will express the best of yourself, your natural gifts, rise above pettiness and your own hungers and be the wise ruler you were meant to be.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the King of Cups is depicted by Charles Bingley of Pride and Prejudice. Charles Bingley and Jane Bennett develop an attachment which is thwarted by the undue influence of family and friends. When things are resolved and Jane and Charles are engaged, Mr. Bennett says: "You are a good girl;" he replied, "and I have great pleasure in thinking you will be so happily settled. I have not a doubt of your doing very well together. Your tempers are by no means unlike. You are each of you so complying, that nothing will ever be resolved on; so easy, that every servant will cheat you; and so generous, that you will always exceed your income." Both Jane and Charles are pleasant, peaceful people, good tempered and kind-hearted. They are a blessing to know and will no doubt live a peaceful and happy life together. I will say I am no Jane Bennett but perhaps I would benefit from some of her equanimity. I am no Charles Bingley. Frankly I am more Mr. Darcy, without the natural charm and openness that makes Bingley a friend to all. But maybe, like Darcy, I might do better to practice openness and affability, to be more exterior as opposed to interior. I have been called "still waters," but perhaps I don't have to be just that. Maybe I can be still waters and babbling brook, raging river, welcoming pool. I do know that I lost a chance at love because I was too afraid to trust in the beneficence of life and the heart, mine and his.

What Would Jane Do?
"An amiable personality is one who is welcome everywhere, and if that person is well-off, so much the better. He will be sought avidly after. He might not make the best general, but society does not demand and iron will and determination. In fact, it often decries such characteristics. If you wish to make yourself well-loved, be open and affable." p. 100

No comments:

Post a Comment