Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Solstice 2009 - Six of Coins/Eight of Quills


What do I need to know today to move me the right way along my path and bring Health and Happiness to my heart and life? And how do I get there?

Six of Coins - The Six of Coins falls between the lack of the Five and the plenty of the Ten. It is about having and not having -- knowledge, money, power. And when it comes in a reading it asks you to look carefully, look deeper. Maybe the situation is clear, you will get what you want, you will have to defer, but the card asks you to question the obvious and to ask the hard questions..."Why am in the situation I'm in and where is it leading? What's really going on?"

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Six of Coins depicts Anne Elliot and a school friend, Mrs. Smith, a woman down on her luck. Anne is truly generous. She visits her friend, even eschewing the company of the wealthy to spend time with her, not just because Mrs. Smith is needy, not just because it's right, but because Anne understands something crucial about giving, that it is not a one way street, but we are given as we give, sometimes more than we have offered. The scales of justice tip this way and that as they right themselves to even steven. We find out as we read that Mrs, Smith possesses vital information for Anne, information that will help move her along her path, toward her greatest joy, Captain Wentworth. Anne gives time and truly honors her friend and is repaid in kind.

The card is really pretty clear. I'm not sure I need to know "how." The "how" seems implicit in the card. Still, as clear as I think I am, as honest as I believe myself to be, sometimes I hedge my bets. I know the situation I need to see clearly, but I choose not to read it as it is, pretend it's murky, unsure, ask for clearer signs. Why? I don't want to be wrong? Maybe. The end of the beautiful dream? Probably.

Eight of Quills - The one thing I have to say about the Jane Austen Tarot is that it is the iron hand in the velvet glove. It doesn't pull any punches although it tries, I think, to be kind. Yes, I'm anthropomorphizing a Tarot deck, but work with them long enough and you learn they are a particular way with you, or perhaps you are with them. Either way, it doesn't matter.

The image of the Eight of Swords is not a pleasant one. A young woman, bound and blindfolded, is trapped by a ring of swords. No help is coming. She seems helpless, and her home and safety seem far, far away. When this card comes up in a reading, you can be sure the situation you're in has you feeling restricted, confused and powerless. Ok, Jane Austen Tarot, could get anymore pointed?

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Eight of Quills depicts Edmund Bertram of Mansfield Park watching the beguiling and amoral Mary Crawford play the harp. She is lovely, elegant, and Edmund is smitten. Mary though, is not a good match for him, she is everything he is not, and he cannot see so blinded is he by her charms.

Aleister Crowley called the Eight of Quills/Swords the "Lord of Interference." Thoughts, expand, swell, fill our minds but thoughts aren't reality, and as much as we future, it doesn't make it so. Edmund believes the best of Mary, that she is selfless, caring, all the things she isn't. Our minds do that, delude and deny, cloak our loves in trappings that aren't theirs. We forget their human and, lost in love and loving, we forget we are too.

What Would Jane Do?
"While love induces an enviable state of bliss, it is also akin to a form of madness. Rationality and discernment go out the window at the appearance of "fine eyes" or a fine figure. Love may be the nectar of the gods, but when humans imbibe of the divine drink, they often do not have the head to handle it. Be sure you sober up before making any lifelong commitments -- they are often decided upon in haste and repented at leisure."

Thanks Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment