Tuesday, December 22, 2009

December 21, 2009 - The Eight of Cups (Teacups)


My Yule log burned fierce and bright last night, a quiet, homey solstice, the first in a long time not filled with longing, sorrow, worry. Even regrets, and unlike Frank I've had more than few, seemed less raw, certainly bearable. The wheel turns, round and round.

Went back to the question, "What do I need to know for the health and happiness of my heart?" It struck me, as I asked it, that sometimes that question won't be enough, that there is not perfect question, that I cycle as the world does, ebb and flow, and oddly I felt at peace about this. Maybe this is my solstice gift, with the coming of the day, the sun, the promise of spring and warmth and bounty. Equanimity was my wish. Equanimity may be my gift. wouldn't that be lovely.

When the Eight of Teacups (Cups) shows up in a reading it means that at last you realize , once and for all, that the past is gone, that done is done, what was true is no longer, and that it's time to move on. The Eight of Cups heralds a time of seeking deeper meaning, moving one, of weariness, in the best of ways that forces us to make changes we resist, and the worst of ways, that make us give up hope. I was the man staring at the cups. For three years I've stared at them trying to make meaning trying to make it read what I want it to, trying, forcing, making. And now it seems, at last I hope, I am that man walking away, moving on, finding his personal truth, abandoning a hopeless situation, and moving on.

Equanimity. May it be so.

In the Jane Austen Tarot, the Eight of Teacups depicts Fanny Price leaving Mansfield Park. Henry Crawford has asked for her hand. Her Uncle, Sir Thomas Bertram does everything he can to convince her to accept him. He believes the best of Henry Crawford, just as his son, Edmund, believes the best of Henry's sister, Mary. Fanny Price though sees the Crawford's for what they are. She knows she would be terribly matched by Henry. She refuses the proposal and her uncle, in a fit of pique, banishes her from Mansfield Park, the only home she's known. Fanny returns to her family in Portsmouth. Perhaps if she sees the depths to which a poor woman can sink she'll come to her senses and accept Henry Crawford.

When this card comes in a reading, growth is necessary for our development at this time, even if it includes sacrifice and loss. "Life is a series of paths and transitions. Each choice we make, each new path we take, involves giving up at least one thing in order to create room for something else, something greater, something that will expand our worldview." To every thing, there is a season. "Give me one more turn, One more turn of the wheel." (Patti Smith, Gung Ho).

What Would Jane Do?

"Life is a series of planned and unplanned journeys. Many times the expected destination is never reached, and, if it is, the arrival often brings with it unexpected outcomes. It is our responses to these unanticipated happenstances that we show our mettle."


No comments:

Post a Comment